Sunday, April 17, 2011

Weekend Duties

Three days sitting at my desk doing just about nothing has prompted me to write a quick little post.

It's been awhile since I've had to work on Saturday but it was easy enough to fall back into the pattern of wearily dragging myself out of bed and going about my day with a grim sense of duty. That disappeared pretty quickly when the first 'job' of the day was watching ADORABLE elementary school kids sing and dance on stage. After a couple of hours of very tough decision making (it's really hard to judge a competition when they're all just so gosh darn cute) I headed to school for my first Saturday classes. I really don't have it that bad. I've been in Korea for almost 6 months and I haven't had to work a single Saturday yet. My students, on the other hand, have to attend morning classes every other Saturday. Sucks to be them.

The afternoon consisted of 2 1/2 hours of trying to control 15 first graders. 13 year olds are...boisterous...and rambunctious. It was fun...but it seemed like a lot more work than an afternoon shift at Tim Hortons. Finally class was about finished and we gathered all our stuff to go outside for an enhanced game of telephone...only to discover a teeny, tiny problem. All of the doors of the school had been locked. Chains of the doors and locks that only open with keys we didn't have. Needless to say my 'school' day ended with my fifteen students and myself clamoring through a window with them saying "We're not thieves, we promise" the whole time.

Oh Korea. You never cease to entertain.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. It's good to hear from you!

    Are we allowed to edit your posts?

    ReplyDelete