Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Proud Parent

While I'm not exactly in a parental position at this school I'm still quite proud of at least one teacher.

Corporal punishment is slowly falling out of favour in Korea but, in schools like mine, it still exists. When I ask my teachers about it they say they don't know where they would begin to control 1000 teenage boys. My guess is that for many of the older teachers they were never formally taught other methods of punishment besides hitting their delinquent students with sticks.

I often find myself bearing witness to these punishments as the Detention teacher sits in my office. I'm sure he sees no reason to punish them elsewhere. Next to him sits a P.E. teacher who is also involved in various disciplinary measures.

Today I saw something new....and improved? methods of punishment.

The students were made to do burpies for a certain amount of time (they stopped whenever the teacher wandered off) and then sent outside to collect garbage. With exams next week, high school entrance tests in a month, and rain pouring down outside (which is where they had to collect garbage) keeping these kids from their classes and out in the rain seem like fitting punishments to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment