Monday, June 27, 2011

Borrowing and Lending

In my position as English Teacher at Jochiwon Boys Middle School I somehow managed to inherit a rather beat up soccer ball. A few weeks ago my students discovered the existence of this ball and gained the courage to ask me for it. At first they would ask by just saying "teacher, ball please" and I would let them go but, the last few days, students have come up to my desk, a little nervous, and tried to say more than 3 words to me (potentially on the command of my CT)....these are some of their attempts:

S:"Teacher, I need your help."
Me (not yet understanding what was happening at this point): Really? With what?
S: "Teacher, we want to play soccer but we don't have a soccer ball. Please lend a ball please."

...

S: "Teacher, I want to play baseball"
Me: "...oh?"
S: "Teacher, I need your soccer ball to play baseball"
...

S: "Excuse me sir, I need your help"
Me: "Ok" (staunchly ignoring the 'sir' part)
S: "I need to play soccer. I need to lend you a ball."
...

S: "Please teacher, can I lend a ball?"
Me (trying, fruitlessly, to help them): "Can I BORROW a ball."
S (already taking the ball and walking away): "Yes, ok teacher. Thank you"

No comments:

Post a Comment